Friday, June 29, 2007

"Then and There" - The simple key to success

This time, I am trying my hand at philosophy. I am going to tell a very small story to explain the success key.

I went to meet a friend, who is a very successful career woman. I was sitting in her office and having some personal talks with her. She received a phone call in the middle. It was some personal call for her and they had asked her to deliver some information to her mother. As soon as she completed the call, she picked up the phone again, called her mother and gave her the information. I was very surprised to see that. Because we were in the middle of the chat and the information was not that important. In that situation, I think most of us would have ignored that phone information or would have planned to convey the information at leisure. I believe that is human mentality. So her act was a total shock to me. But I did not show my feelings to her. She continued our discussions. In about 2 minutes, her manager dropped in and discussed about some critical issue and he left. After that, she set up a meeting with her directors that afternoon. Then again she got a call from some orphanage asking for donation. She told them that she will be delivering a check to them that day itself. After she finished her call, she wrote a check and called her personal secretary and asked her to deliver that check to the orphanage. All these took some 5-10 minutes. So she conveyed her apologies to me for breaking our discussion and then continued our chat. I was totally amazed and I asked her why she is completing all her tasks as she is in a rush. Her answer to my question is the key to success that she gave me. Her golden words below:

"You could have noted that there are hundred things happening around me in few hours. I myself could not remember things that happened to me after sometime. Because of this, there are chances to miss much important information and there are chances to miss important guidelines and fail to do critical tasks in time. If I would not have conveyed the phone information to my mother, she would have got very upset that I am not giving her importance. So it may affect both personal and professional life. But to complete tasks like what I did, will simplify our life. It will save lot of time, money and improve relationships. You might have noted that I have set up a meeting with my directors to discuss a critical issue. All it took me is one minute to set up that meeting. I triggered the chain. It takes off from there and activities would be going on by now. People would be collecting all the information to discuss in the meeting. If I would not have done this, I might have forgotten the whole issue ending up in bigger problems. Or if I get a chance to remember it sometime in the evening, it is too late to set up that meeting. The same is in the case with the orphanage. The check would reach them very fast and would be very helpful to them. In that case, why to delay? To explain it simply,

"Do it then and there"

This is the secret of my success".

All of us know the advantage of doing things then and there, but we never implement them practically. But after listening to her, I started practicing it and finding it very useful. You could also try it if you are not doing it before.




No comments: