Thursday, November 15, 2007

Diwali Special - Badusha

I have started writing more culinary blogs these days. May be I am improving my cooking skills or my knowledge in other areas is very very poor :-(.


For this Diwali, I first thought of making Adhirasam, the traditional Diwali sweet of tamilians. But unfortunately, my trial version of it failed in a disastrous way. So I was thinking of some other alternative.

Every time I think of making something new, I call my friend Ruba. There is this difference between a good cook and a great cook - how much they understand cooking. What is there to understand in cooking? There are so many things. I understood this after I came to know Ruba's cooking skills. She would not stop giving the recipe. She also gives so many tips which might sound silly. But when you follow them, your recipe would turn out great. This time, she asked me to try Badusha. By the way, how badusha got this different name???



Ingredients:
Maida Flour - 1 cup
Butter/Ghee/Dalda - 1/4 cup
Baking Soda - Pinch
Water - 3 glasses
Sugar - 2 1/2 glasses...oooooooh...Try to forget the word 'Calorie' for sometime.



Method:

Mix Maida with Ghee. Add a pinch of baking soda. Prepare a nice dough little thicker than chapathi dough. Leave it for 1/2 hour. Then make small balls. Press in the middle with the thumb. This should give you the typical shape of badusha. Meanwhile, add sugar to water in a big bowl and put it in stove. Let it boil for 20 mins.


Heat oil and then start frying badusha. Keep in medium heat and allow till the badusha turns golden brown thoroughly. Only when the flame is medium, the badusha gets cooked in all sides.



Take them out and allow to cool. Allow the sugar syrup to cool. Then put these badusha in sugar syrup. Turn them and allow them to soak in syrup completely for 2-3 mins. Take out and leave them outside until the sugar coating forms on the surface of badusha.

5 comments:

Raji said...

Looks yummy :) Enakku?

Arunprakash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saranya Arunprakash said...

Hey Rekha,
Thanks. Nee inga varum bothu narya sweet senju tharen.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Thanks Anon for the comments! This is very encouraging.