Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"Planes,Trains and Automobiles" to "Anbe Sivam"




"Anbe Sivam" is one of the scintillating movies of our Ulaga Nayagan Kamal Hassan. The movie has a very meaningful story line in it. The name of the movie itself tells the moral of the story "Anbe...Sivam" means "Love is God". People who are being kind to others and who can express their love are the real gods. The screenplay of this movie is done by Kamal and the direction by Sundar.C. I guess Sundar.C is just the namesake director as each and every scene of this movie shows that it has Kamal's hands in it. Okie..lets come to the topic. Why am I talking about this movie now???

Yesterday, I was watching an English movie of my favourite comedian Steve Martin. 'Planes,Trains and Automobiles" is the name of the movie. To my surprise, the movie was not so good. I was very upset about it because I love to watch Steve Martin's comic actions. But as the movie was going on, something was coming into my mind and was disturbing me on and off. It was giving me a strange feeling that I already watched those scenes already. I tried to dig out my memory to find the reason behind this strange feeling and Anbe Sivam came into my attention . Yeah...it is.

Right from the first scene where Kamal meets Madhavan in airport, the flight cancellation, going for alternatives like car and train, staying in a hotel room together...hmm...all those were inspired from this movie. Also the emotional touches where Madhavan hates Kamal in the beginning and then understands Kamal...were all similar to this movie.

But definitely, I would not say that it is a copy because these two movies have nothing in common about the actual story line or the moral of the story. Kamal has just taken few things from this movie like the way how two strangers come acrosss each other accidentally and start liking each other inspite of so many differences between them. Thats it!

The purpose of my post is not to say that Kamal has copied this from that. But to say the truth that Anbe Sivam is far far better than the original movie. Whatever things Kamal has taken from the English movie, he has improved it, shaped it and polished it. As I was pointing earlier the original scenes were not very good. But Kamal has given his heart and soul for every tiny portion of the movie and that has come out as our "Anbe Sivam". Hats off to him!

So this post is to say...
"Guru vai minjiya sishyan" nu solra maari...original version ai minjiya kamalin Anbe Sivam

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice catch. As a matter of fact, the "Planes trains and automobiles" movie was my actual inspiration for "Anbe Sivam" and also as you have rightly pointed out, it is just an inspiration and nothing more. Thanks for the candid feedback.

Raji said...

Now I'm all set to watch this Steve Martin's movie to catch what you've posted...[:)]

Ginger said...

good post.. should add this movie to blockbuster queue :)

Anonymous said...

How come all his recent movies have hollywood basis (Mrs doutfire,what about o,something about mary, planes,auto..trains)Unfortunately Kamal is loosing his creativity. The one that he made without hollywood basis dasavatharm did not attract audience. He is a good actor but sometimes wants to achieve things beyond limit and screws up everything.

Waves Of Harmony said...

I am just struck with wonder on this small thig - Is that Kamal Hassan himself ? Or some overzealous fan like myself ???

Lijoe Jason J said...

Wow! Real or Fake?! Is it real Kamal Haasan commented on this post. If it is him, see, how he is great! :)

Lijoe Jason J said...

Is it real Kamal Haasan commented on this post? If it is true, see, how he is great! :)

Unknown said...

No.Kamal Haasan is Kamal's name not kamal hassan.fake!

Unknown said...

No.Kamal Haasan is Kamal's name not kamal hassan.fake!