Friday, October 9, 2009

50 years of accomplishment!!!

This post is for our Thala...

Your guess is wrong. It is not Ajith and I am happy that I do not have such a bad taste.

Kamal Hassan...

I am a hardcore fan of him. I and Arun, watch all his movies - first day first show. And we watch them again and again and again.

When all these celebrations are going on for his 50th year in the industry, I wanted to write the important things that I detest about him. So Kamal, here we go:

1. I hate the romance that you show in movies and also the things happening in your personal life. Your personal life should be none of my concern and I do not have any rights to intrude, but I hate when I see you with Gautami.

2. Your dance really sucks. They say that you know bharathanatiyam, kuchipudi, this and that. But as a common man(???), I say that your dance is not that pleasant. You are repeating the same steps (Raising and tipping your toe, I could not explain it better but I hope you can understand because this is the one you do all the time :-)).

3. Sometimes, you act as though you karachu kudichified cine industry and you show thousand emotions for a simple scene. I think it is all Shivaji's influence. You need to really improve!

4. Your dressing sense is bad most of the time. Why do you wear pants so high like a 1950-constable?

5. In the roles that you come without moustache, you think that you look young. But the truth is you look sick. For example, as Govind Ramasamy in Dasavatharam, your face was bloated and it looked like you had 2 bondas in your mouth.

6. Please dont get over excited and make films like Dasavatharam. Do not try to show all your expertise in one film. We are ready to pay for your movie tickets. So take one step at a time. I understand your concern about age. But you can direct other young people and enact character roles. Like Unnai Pol Oruvan, you can be a 50-year old hero.

7. And final one..You remade the film 'A Wednesday', scene by scene. Vekkame illama how can you answer all the interview questions as though it is your own story and screenplay? Accepting all the praises, you say that you predicted that this story is very much essential for the society now. You are no better than that Jayam Ravi's brother.

Now this is done! I want to list atleast a couple of good things about him since I called him 'Thala'

1. I always come out with one hundred crticisms every time I see your movie. But every time, I watch you speaking in interviews so clearly and precisely, I start liking you atleast 5% more.

2. During childhood, there was this fight among us whenever we talk about movies - Rajni side or Kamal side. I chose Kamal thinking that people who support Rajni are kathukuttis and kamal fans are geniuses.
I still believe so :-).

9 comments:

Arun said...

Although it hurts to read some of your harsh remarks, I agree with some of these observations - only some.

You said it right about you having nothing to do with his personal life, you really dont :) I like people who live for themselves. In the recent NDTV interview he said this - paraphrasing here - I married Sarika because its a social recognition that she wanted and I was willing to do that to continue living with her. And regarding "A Wednesday", there are hundreds of non-Tamil Indian movies getting released every year. He chose to remake "A Wednesday" because he thought the society needed this now - that is my interpretation.

I was disappointed with Dasavadharam and Unnai Pol Oruvan too. Although these movies were magnitudes better than most other Tamil movies, they are no where close to his classics like Devar Magan, Kurudhi Punal, Sathi Leelavathi etc. I sometimes worry that he is past his prime. I hope not.

Raji said...

Wat a honest post! :P Being a Kamal fan in the recent times, I agree most of what you said. But there are more than a couple of good things about him which you missed. Even though I did not like Dasavatharam, I believe Kamal is the one among the few in the Tamil cini industry who has the guts to take risks or try out extraordinary things like this.

Shobana said...

I bow to your honesty..especially in those 7 points and I want to say that I totally agree with you (1st point completely)! This is one thing that irritates me too...that UPO is a remake and not his own movie and story. Also who is the director of the movie???? Why show off that it is HIS movie??? I didn't enjoy Dasavatharam simply because it was way too much!

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Thanks Shobhana! I think I was echoing your voice :-). Hope the birthday prep. is going great!

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Hi Rekha,
There are atleast ten thousand good things about Kamal that we all know. So I focussed on the very few things that I do not like about him :-).

Anonymous said...

Interesting post Saranya!I do agree with all your points except that he stood by Gautami when she was battling cancer. I guess we need to appreciate him for atleast that.

Harini

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Gautami had cancer? I was not aware of that fact. Then you are right and we have to definitely appreciate him...

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

I am not a hardcore fan of Kamal but I have liked many of his movies. Even Dashavataram, I braved the big rush and watched it in Delhi on the first day itself.

I liked your honesty, though at some places, it seemed a little brutal. But honesty is about being very straight about your thoughts so hats off to you for not toning it down.

Kamal's relationship with Gautami is his personal choice and I am not concerned about it. I feel sad that his daughters have spoken against their mother in several magazines and made statements like "Gautami is our only mother." Fine, it's good they respect her but that shouldn't deter them from showing some respect and love for their real mother, whether she is good or bad, a mother is a mother.

However, I agree that Kamal's dancing is really not a visual treat. I think new choreography techniques need to become a part of his dancing style.

I also believe he should do more relevant movies. All the best to him!

Saranya Arunprakash said...

I think I have been harsh a lil, Swapna! But u can criticise only the people u like very much :-). I want him to act in movies like salangai oli again. I don't know how sarika was ok with leaving her girls like this and not even visiting them.