Friday, November 20, 2009

Getting old is not too bad!!!

Health, Fitness...these are the words that are lingering in my ears very often these days.
"eppadi iruntha naan ippadi aiten" this suits me perfectly (actually in positive sense), when considering health and eating habits.

Before marriage:
Mom made veggies every day, atleast 2 of them. They were all yummy and delightful with coconut and all the needed kosuru flavors. But, I was not even touching them. She requested me to eat them listing all the good things..but no was my answer all the time. So, she was feeding me (literally). I was immediately drinking water to force them inside. I was not even tasting them.

I was also not knowing the meaning of 'work out'. All I was doing after work is taking rest, sleeping and watching TV. I absolutely had no chores to do. I could not recollect why was I resting for god's sake? (enna panni kizhichennu therila?)

Wheel spinning clockwise...few years later...

Morning breakfast:
Oats, Carrot juice or Butter milk

Lunch:
Some vegetable curry with rice or chappathi, salad on fridays with soup

Snacks:
Fruits and Yoplait

Dinner:
Again vegetable curry.

Cooking spinach atleast twice a week, making sure that I cover all the vegtables available in one cycle, eating fruits as much as possible...

No one is forcing me to do all these now. But I do it out of my own interest. And I also work out as frequently as possible even after all the house work and office work (see office work comes only second :)). Or else I feel guilty.

How did I change?
I think I figured out that there is no one to take care of me and my family if I am not doing so.

Are you curious about my husband? Oh boy! he does not even remember what he had for lunch today. So I need to be more responsible.

Maturity is teaching me to be more responsible and I am getting matured as I get older.

Then, growing old is not too bad, isn't it?

6 comments:

Raji said...

of course not, if you utilise it well like this :)

Shobana said...

Wait till a baby comes along! Jokes apart, Congrats on the 180 degree turn around on your eating. I am impressed that you manage to do some physical activity every single day. Do you go to a gym or at home???? It actually doesn't take a lot of effort to make atleast one vegetable subzi along with the curry everyday. Many times, I add 2-3 vegetables in sambar..that way more variety. For example, beans carrots, bottle gourd, bok choy stems all go in the sambar. Sounds like a restaurant sambar, but it isn't too bad. Good luck and wishing you well!

Anonymous said...

Very true.. I remember the time when I wouldn't touch greens... Now, I eat all types of greens even if they are uncooked..
Harini

Saranya said...

Rekha,
We have to cover our age like this..wht to do? :-)

Shobhana,
I go to gym in the office and that is very convenient. Adding more veggies in the sambar is a very good idea.

Harini,
I know that u eat salads a lot, very good.

amuchi said...

saran reading this i feel
ur glittering as gold
as ur growing old

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Ha ha ha..naan vayasu agaratha ippadi style a sollikalam :) I follow ur tip of adding venthaya keerai in many recipes.