Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Malarnthum Malaratha.... - Part 5

Wedding arrangements have started. Amma and Appa are busy in booking the Mandapam, arranging the contractor, buying sarees, etc, etc. Meera is struggling to leave everything behind and start preparing for the wedding. But somehow, she tries to console herself and acts for the sake of her parents. She is happy with one thing though, Mapillai did not try talking to her after the 'Pen pakkum padalam'. In 90s, it has become a trend wherein the Mapillai gets the landline number and kadalai pottufy with the girl every day. Meera's friends have shared their sweet phone stories to her. She thought that the Mapillai is more decent and is feeling shy to talk to her. This gave her sometime to accept what is happening around her.

Meera is surprised the way Bharath took the wedding news. Bharath is actually terribly upset, but he does not want Meera to know about it. He understands her so well and he is ready to do anything to make her happy. Bharath asks Meera to definitely let him know if she needs any help. She nods her head and says 'I can ask only you'.

Meera and her parents go to Nungambakkam to select the invitation card. She sits there quietly and her parents select the card, one in English and one manjal pathirikai. Her parents argue so much in selecting the names that has to be printed on the card. All maama, chithappa and everyone including the new-born babies in the family are included finally in the list.

Amma wants Meera to resign as there is just a month left for wedding. But Meera is so shocked to just hear it. She did not even think about the fact that she has to resign the job and go to Delhi. She convinces Amma that she will resign a week before the wedding. Amma says a firm 'No'. This time, Meera fights back and finally it was decided that she will go for another 15 days. Meera is so happy to see Bharath at least for another 2 weeks.

Meera starts distributing the cards to her friends. They are all so excited for Meera. Meera struggles every time to give a fake smile back. She invites everyone at work and decides to invite Bharath later visiting him and his mom. What the poor girl can do other than postponing it?

She visits them that weekend. Bharath's mom tells her frankly that it is not too late and she has to reconsider her decision. Meera thinks that even if she is bold enough to consider Bharath now, things have gone beyond her control and there is no way that she can cancel this wedding when her parents have already invited most of her relatives. She knows that she will not get a better chance to say what is in her mind. Finally, she opens up, "Aunty! I am so sorry. I am sure you will be able to understand me better. I am doing this after killing all my wishes. I must do this for my family. I am sorry if I have upset you and Bharath in any way". Aunty replies back and says, "No Meera. I like you right from the moment I saw you. But I started liking you more just when you sacrificed your likings for the sake of your family. This is what we women do all our life. I am so proud of you. I am sure you are going to have a wonderful life". She says thank you and she leaves the place controlling her tears.

When she reaches home, she is hearing Veena talking to her friend in the patio, "Yeah. What if he is Akka's friend and he is from a different caste? I can convince my parents. More than anything, it is my life and I have all the rights to make decisions". Meera is standing there shellshocked....

Story continues...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to call you to know the ending can't wait :) btw, how come you know a lot about kadala pottufyig in 90s if you were referring to early 90s?
Harini

Saranya Arunprakash said...

Harini,
All my cousins and siblings are at least 5 years elder to me. I know all their youth stories :)

Rahima said...

Eagerly waiting for the next part ...